Friday 6 May 2016

New siblings,

Before I said how I was the middle child, with one older brother and one younger brother. Well one day in grade two I got a new sibling. No my mom didn’t have a new baby. I actually got an amazing older sister. Her name is Mary. She is a year older than me and had been my friend for a few years before my mom took an interest in her life. Things with Mary’s mom weren’t in the best situation and her dad wasn’t around anymore. I don’t really think her background story matters so much because when she was living with me, she was a part of our family too.
We used to do everything together, I mean she was living with us, kinda like we were her foster home. She was amazing, she was so kind and funny and she was an amazing singer. I loved her so much! We did argue constantly about things, just like sisters do. She was using my favourite Barbie, or we didn’t want to play the same game.
We’ve had amazing times together and although not certain memories stick out in my life, it was a great time in my life. I had this inspirational girl in my life that meant so much to me. My best friend lived in the same house as me. But things weren’t always great, she did live in my house, which meant I had to learn how to share. My toys, and space, those weren’t hard to share. It was hard sharing my mom. It sounds selfish and mean, but I got jealous of when my mom spent more time with Mary and when Mary was crying, she would comfort Mary. At one point I thought that my mom cared more about Mary than about me because Mary had more issues in her life. I wanted to yell at my mom that I needed her more than Mary did. But one time my mom talked to me and finally I got it. I was always going to be my mom’s daughter, no matter what and she loved me unconditionally but she also loved Mary. And in the end, I was okay with that.

Mary didn’t live with me forever, she moved 6 hours away and lived with a different family. I’m not really sure why that ended up happening. I was too young for my parents to tell me, and I still haven’t really asked. It actually really sucks but I’m so thankful for the time we spent together. I learned a lot during those two years. True friendship, laughter, love, sacrifice and what family really meant. Because a family isn’t always who were born to, but who accepts you the way you are, loves you unconditionally, and will never give up on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment